Phenomenon-Temple Curtain Torn
SERIES IDEA: THE PHENOMENAL EVENTS AT THE CROSS WERE THE FATHER'S EXPLANATION OF THE CROSS
TODAY'S BIG IDEA: THE FATHER OPENED THE DOOR FOR HIS KIDS TO COME BACK HOME
The events that happened at the cross of Jesus, explain to us why the cross of Jesus was indeed, one of a kind. There were no less than 4 phenomenal and miraculous events that took place as Jesus was crucified. And over a 4-week period we are examining each one of the 4 phenomenal events of the cross. Today is event #2, the temple curtain being torn in two.
Key Scripture: Matthew 27:45-54
1. HUMANS WERE CREATED TO REIGN WITH THE FATHER AND THE SON
Humans were formed in such a manner by God, that we were intended to govern and reign over all the earth, as Kings and Queens over creation. And we were made to do that ruling and reigning in close collaboration with the Father, Son, and Spirit. We were to be partners, with the fairest and most noble Lord teaching us how to rule well.
Genesis 1:28 (NLT)
“Then God blessed them and said, 'Be fruitful and multiply. Fill the earth and govern it. Reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, and all the animals that scurry along the ground.'”
2. HUMAN SIN SEPARATED US FROM GOD'S GOOD PRESENCE
We rejected that gracious, loving, and unfathomable offer to reign with God. And we choose to attempt to reign on our own. And when we did the Father had no choice but to exile us from his good and life-giving presence.
Genesis 3:23-24 (NLT)
“So the Lord God banished them from the Garden of Eden, and he sent Adam out to cultivate the ground from which he had been made. After sending them out, the Lord God stationed mighty cherubim to the east of the Garden of Eden. And he placed a flaming sword that flashed back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.”
Other Scriptures: Exodus 25:8-9
3. WHEN JESUS DIED, THE WAY BACK TO GOD WAS OPENED
In Herod’s Temple, in the days of Jesus, Jewish historian Josephus claimed the temple curtain was 60 feet high, and 4 inches thick. The curtain that separated humanity from God’s thoroughly good, yet dangerous presence. The power of God ripped the curtain in two, something no human could have accomplished. As He did the Father was declaring, through faith in my Son, you can safely come back into my presence.
Matthew 27:51 (NLT)
“At that moment the curtain in the sanctuary of the Temple was torn in two, from top to bottom.”
Other Scriptures: Hebrews 10:19-20
(For the person considering becoming a disciple of Jesus)
1. Have you embraced Jesus by faith? He will remove your sins from you, make you pure again and make a way for you to find the life you’ve always longed for. You are a son of God, you are a daughter of God, and he wants you to come home. Won’t you come back to Him today?
(For the person already a disciple of Jesus)
2. Child of God this mean your sin really has been removed from you. You really are completely living in the Fathers presence when you pray, worship, read His Word and live with Him throughout your day. Take God at His Word and come close to your Father.